This article walks through various scenarios and instructions for creating, posting and/or promoting content on various social channels from the new DivvyHQ Sandbox.
The Divvy Details
Planning & Creating Social Content vs. Publishing & Promoting via Social
Before we dig into the social publishing process, there are two distinct scenarios that are accounted for inside of DivvyHQ:
- Planning & Creating Social Content (to publish in the future) - In this case, you are using DivvyHQ to plan, create and publish individual social posts (i.e. You have created a content item titled: Facebook post for Product XYZ). These are full-fledged content items that are displayed alongside all other content in your DivvyHQ account (your dashboard, editorial calendar, etc.)
- Publishing & Promoting Other Content via Social - In this case, the content item you are working with is some other form of content (ex: a blog post) and you will be using DivvyHQ's promotion tab to launch various social posts that promote this content item. These social posts are not the same as those in scenario #1. They are stored differently in our system and are not displayed on your dashboard or editorial calendar. However, you can view theses social posts within individual content items and within the Scheduled Posts tab on the Content interface (more details below).
We want to make this distinction because Divvy's social publishing features cover both cases, but your interaction with and usage of these features might be a little different for each scenario.
Scenario 1 - Planning, Creating & Publishing a Social Post
The DivvyHQ Sandbox acts as a container for all of the details associated with an individual content item, including things like deadlines, workflow, team members, attachments, AND the actual content.
Near the top of the Details Tab, you'll notice the "Summary / Description / Social Post" field, which plays a dual role. It can be used to store a general summary for a longer-form piece of content, or it can store the actual text of your social post.
As you interact with the social posting functionality, any text that is stored within that field will automatically populate the text area of your social posts.
Once you've established a publishing channel connection in the Integrations Admin, you’ll now see a "Post to Social" button within the Details, Content, and Promotion tabs of the Divvy Sandbox. Clicking this button in any of those views will trigger the social post overlay (form) and, as mentioned previously, your social post text will populate the overlay's text area.
Within the Social Post overlay, you'll see the following elements:
- Select channels - You can post to one or multiple channels at the same time.
- Post text area - Edit your post text if needed.
- Link Preview - If a link is included in your social post text, a link preview will be displayed.
- Image Gallery - Select the attached image you want to accompany your post (this will override any social post preview).
- Enable scheduling - Set a future date and time to publish the post.
- Action button - Either "Post Now" or "Schedule Post".
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you plan to post an image along with your social post, that image must be uploaded as an attachment on your content item. To do this, open the attachments tab and upload your image. You’ll then be able to select this image in the social post image gallery when setting up your social post.
Scenario 2 - Promoting Other Content
The Promotion tab can also be used to set up a schedule of social promotion for other types of content (ex: web content or blog posts). After the main web content is published, you can create multiple posts for various social channels and schedule them to publish on a desired schedule or frequency.
Most of the instructions mentioned in Scenario #1 are still applicable, but you'll likely need to craft your social posts (text) from scratch. Again, any text that is stored within the "Summary / Description / Social Post" field of the content item will automatically populate your social post text area. If that text is not correct, you'll need to delete it and create something appropriate.
Viewing Scheduled (Future) and Published Social Posts
Once you’ve started utilizing DivvyHQ’s social publishing features, you can view and manage those individual social posts a few different ways.
Manage Social Posts for an Individual Content Item
If you have previously scheduled or published social posts for an individual content item, open that content item in the DivvyHQ Sandbox and click the Promotion tab. Scheduled posts will be at the top of this tab, listed in ascending order (present to future). Published post will be listed at the bottom of this tab, in descending order (present to past). Scheduled posts can be edited or deleted within this view.
Viewing All Social Posts via the Content Interface
To view a list of all your Scheduled posts, head over to the Content interface and look for the Scheduled Posts tab. In that view, you can use the "Post Status" filter to toggle between Scheduled (future) social posts and published posts. You can also cancel scheduled post if necessary.